I have had this Brown Sugar Smoked Chicken Recipe for over 20 years and am not sure where it came from. It’s excellent for a buffet, wonderful sliced cold; made into smoked ( fruited ) chicken salads, or for sandwiches with basil or chipotle mayo, etc.
This takes 3 days to prepare and is well worth the wait and effort.
What you need
- One 6 to 8 lb oven stuffer type of whole chicken
- 1/3 cup salt
- 1/2 cup or more brown sugar
- heavy duty aluminum foil
- charcoal or briquette grill
How to cook this Brown Sugar Smoked Chicken Recipe
- Liberally salt chicken inside and out. Wrap chicken in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 hours. The next day rinses the chicken well with cold water. Then steam chicken in a large kettle in 1 1/2 inches of water until fork tender. The kettle should be covered. Carefully remove chicken from kettle and cool. When cool, wrap in foil and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Smoke the chicken 4 hours before serving.
- Place brown sugar on heavy-duty foil which has been laid over hot coals but under the grill grates. Place chicken on grill and close cover. Now watch carefully because the brown sugar will burn and smoke.
- The chicken should be a rich golden color in about 12 to 15 minutes. You may have to add more brown sugar to the foil. Do not over-smoke chicken as it could taste bitter if smoked too long.
- When chicken is done, refrigerate 4 to 6 hours before serving.
Hi, I’m Mhen and I’m a HUGE fan of Food and Cooking.
Do you enjoy grilling sessions with your family while staring at the beautiful fire pit flames?
Flame Gorilla is the site to learn how to have that perfect backyard experience.