One of the best experiences that you can get from camping is enjoying delicious food cooked over a hot campfire. Most campers would probably pack a portable grill or their own grates, cast iron pans etc… to barbecue food over however, there is another cooking equipment that is an absolute must pack among the camping gears and that is the campfire tripod.
A campfire tripod consists of 3 sturdy steel legs which are joined at the center. A hook is attached to the center and a chain will hold a pot or grill, at the center, suspended at the middle of the tripod. This is usually the gear used to get a more even temperature of heat on what you are cooking in a pot or on a grill.
You might think that it is unnecessary to bring along a campfire tripod when you can simply put a pot over a grill grate which is nestled on top of the fire pit or slap some juicy pieces of meat on it; however, a cooking tripod is actually more useful and beneficial because you can easily adjust the heat level without having to grab a hot pot or getting close to hot coals and burning wood to move a grate.
Additional advantages to using a campfire tripod:
- Easy packing and handling; although, the campfire tripod is not handy to bring along when you are trekking, it is perfect for camping and RVing as it takes little to no space in the back of your vehicle.
- Quickly and efficiently adjust cooking temperature no matter what pot or pan type or size is being used.
- The supporting chain can be simply lengthened or shortened to put the utensil closer or further from the fire for more or lesser heat.
Just like with any camping equipment or even the act of grilling over a camping fire, dealing with a camping tripod can be initially daunting. Still, with enough practice and experience, you will soon be able to perfectly gauge your pots or grills hanging from your own cooking tripod. So, if you are ready to take up the challenge and add more fun ideas when creating your camping meals, here are the best selection of campfire tripods online!
Dimension: 2.5 x 2.5 x 45 inches
Material: Cast Iron
Customer Rating: 4.5/5 (5,016 global ratings)
The cast iron camping tripod from Stansport is made out of heavy duty steel construction with a nickel plated chain. It is the perfect, sturdy 3-legged tripod which can safely and conveniently cook your food over open flame with stability. It can hold Dutch ovens, coffee pots, grill grates over a cooking fire and when not used for cooking, it can be used to hang lanterns, jugs and even for drying clothes. The tripod folds flat so you don’t have to worry about bulkiness when fitting into your vehicle for camping trips.
- “S” hook provides easy way to adjust the height of the chain as you cook.
- Lead free so it is safe to be used near food.
- Easy to set up and very safe to store, comes with a plastic pouch for storing.
- Durable enough to last for years of cooking.
- Difficult to stabilize in flat, hard surface.
- Storage bag comes in thin, cheap material.
Dimension: 0.04 x 0.04 x 0.03 inches
Material: Alloy Steel
Customer Rating: 4.4/5 (1,537 global ratings); Amazon’s Choice for tripod grill
Stansport camping tripods are well-known for its sturdy three-leg design and heavy duty chain. It has the same features as the iron model but is way more lighter because it is made out of collapsible steel. The heavy duty chain allows you to lower or raise the 17.5” grill confidently so you can control the temperature while you are cooking food over the open flame. It is sturdy enough to hold a variety of cookware, coffee pots, pans, jugs and even use it to hang clothes.
- Lightweight, shock corded, galvanized steel legs for strong support.
- Comes with 18 inch grill.
- Collapsible and packs easy and its compact design makes it ideal for camping or backpacking.
- Quick and easy to set up.
- All parts are made of metal so everything gets really hot while cooking so be extra careful.
- Grill runners are spaced far apart making it difficult to grill food over it directly.
Dimension: 18 x 18 x 12 inches
Weight: 2 lbs
Material: Galvanized Steel
Customer Rating: 4.4/5 (1,243 global ratings); Amazon’s Choice for camping tripod for cooking
Enjoying dinner around the campfire will be easy when you have the Coleman tripod grill and lantern hanger. The legs are constructed from durable galvanized steel legs which are shock-corded to provide a strong, steady support for your pot or pans or pieces of meat lying on top of the grill grate. After cooking, cooling off and cleaning the grill grate, you can even use it as a table to put some of your things on. Simply collapse the legs after use and store in your vehicle.
- Comes with 17” grill grate and large enough to fit 8 to 12 burger patties.
- Galvanize steel material does not rust or bend easily.
- Sturdy chain to adjust the grill grate lower or higher depending on require temperature.
- Grill swings and turns so you can adjust to ensure food cooks evenly.
- Does not come with a storage bag.
- No adjustable pulley system (adjustable chain.)
Dimension: 24.05 x 5.75 x 3.05 inches
Customer Rating: 4.7/5 (1,078 global ratings); Amazon’s Choice for Dutch Ovens by Lodge
The Tall Boy cooking tripod might be more well-known from Lodge but this campfire tripod is more convenient because it is adjustable. You can adjust the height of the legs as well as the length of the chain so you can have more control over the temperatures that is required from cooking your different food. It has a thick chain that can support heavy cookware. Setting up can be a little tricky but if you bury the legs in the ground before setting up your cooking gear then you won’t have to worry about balance.
- Comes with tote bag for storage and convenient transport.
- Adjustable leg height.
- Sturdy, durable legs.
- Thick chain.
- Set up is tricky and can tip over when not done properly.
Dimension: 61.56 x 3 x 3 inches
Weight: 11.43 lbs
Customer Rating: 4.7/5 (1,077 global rating); Amazon’s Choice for campfire tripod
The Tall Boy tripod from Lodge is constructed from solid steel and has a galvanized chain which makes it strong, sturdy and reliable when you want to experience some good outdoor cooking. This campfire tripod is ideal to hang Dutch ovens as well as any pot or pan you might have along with you. It is most ideally suited with the Lodge camp Dutch ovens although, it is sold separately.
- All steel construction so it’s not easily bent or rusted.
- High-temperature black finish to keep it resistant to the flames of a camp fire.
- Galvanized chain is thick and easily allows you to adjust your Dutch oven’s height from the fire without worrying about its weight.
- Check for missing items when shipped.
- No adjustable chain or leg.
Dimension: 12.52 x 3.07 x 1.34 inches
Material: Hard Aluminum
Customer Rating: 4.1/5 (362 global ratings)
GGBuy’s campfire grill tripod features a sturdy and stable 3 leg design constructed from solid steel and hard alumina which allows you to use this for many camping trips with the family. The 18 inch chain will provide you with enough leverage to adjust your Dutch oven, grill grate or pot higher or lower with ease and security. It can carry a max load capacity of 5kg which is plenty enough to provide food for your camping group.
- Comes with 600D Oxford fabric carry bag for convenient storage and transport.
- Lightweight, much better than common metal and more eco-friendly and portable.
- Single stick of tripod can be used as a walking stick in the forest.
- Smaller than what consumers expected.
- Legs get extremely hot and becomes weak.
Dimension: 2.5 x 2.5 x 43 inches
Material: Forged Iron
Customer Rating: 4.6/5 (341 global ratings)
Texasport campfire tripod is constructed from forged iron which makes it highly stable and very sturdy to hoist a Dutch oven, coffee pot, grill grates and pots over a camp fire. Its heavy duty plated chain is 26” long with an “S” hook for easy height adjustment. It can also fold easily for convenient, no-fuss storage, perfect to be brought along in any camping or outdoor trip.
- Solid steel can handle suspending a big pot or a #4 cast iron pot filled with food.
- Includes carry bag for convenient transport and storage.
- Easy to set up.
- Built to work very well with Dutch ovens.
- Shorter than most tripods.
Dimension: 1 x 1 x 1 inch
Material: Galvanized Steel
Customer Rating: 4.4/5 (336 global ratings)
This tripod is recognized by most consumers as one of the strongest cooking tripods there is. It is not constructed from heavy material but the galvanized steel they used is very durable nonetheless. You can securely place your pots and pans on the grill grate and adjust the height by its chain to favor your desired temperature. If not used for cooking, this tripod can easily hoist your lantern to help illuminate your campsite as you enjoy the rest of the evening.
- Grill grate included.
- Easily adjustable.
- Durable with long chain.
- Collapse easily for quick storage.
- Does not come with carrying bag.
- Grill grate is not food grade so avoid cooking food directly on it.
Dimension: 34 x 29.5 x 55 inches
Material: Alloy Steel
Customer Rating: 4.5/5 (219 global ratings); Amazon’s Choice for fire pit tripod
The Sunnydaze tripod grilling set comes with a tripod stand and a grate rack which is pretty easy to use. Items are constructed from durable steel metal with a high-temperature, heat-resistant paint finish to keep it sturdy and stable while you are cooking over a campfire or hot coals. Each leg is 2 pieces that connect together via spring snap buttons then connect the 3 legs to the top piece with spring snap buttons. It has a 20lb weight capacity.
- Grate diameter is 22” and height adjustable from 14-23 inches above ground.
- Easy to clean and store.
- Minimal assembly required.
- Portable handles allows for use as serving tray as well.
- Sunnydaze backs it products with 1 year manufacturer’s warranty.
- Poles are pretty thin.
- No adjustable chain.
Dimension: 17.7 x 17.7 x 1.5 inches
Material: Chrome Plated
Customer Rating: 4.4/5 (216 global ratings)
The 51079 tripod from Camco provides convenience when it comes to cooking over an open fire. The items are constructed from chrome plated steel material which can hold pots or pans on top of its grill plate. It features a 29” adjustable height chain so you can have better control of your cooking temperatures. Grilling surface of grate is 17” in diameter.
- Comes with a circular grill grate.
- Fast and easy set up.
- Compact, breaks down easily for convenient storage.
- Height adjustable and can hold lanterns as well.
- Bad shipping.
- Cheap, soft metal construct.
- Does not come with carry bag.
What to Consider When Choosing a Campfire Tripod?
- Material- Ensure that the legs, chain and grill grate of your campfire tripod is constructed from durable material. Since most of the cookware will be suspended from it, the whole set up should be sturdy and strong enough to hold up the weight of the cookware plus the amount of food in it. Do not go for cheap, flimsy materials and make sure the legs are thick enough and not hollow so you can have maximum support. If it comes with a grill grate, ensure that the grate itself is food grade material so it can be safe to cook food on.
- Adjustable Leg and Chain – The convenience of a campfire tripod is that it allows you to cook at different temperatures over your camp fire so if you have varying types of meat or food on the menu which requires different heat-temperature to cook, it is best that you choose a tripod that is adjustable. Remember to also consider how easily the chain can be pulled up or extended so you won’t have difficulty adjusting over a hot bed of coals while cooking.
- Transportability – Consider how compact and how light the tripod is when packed up and stored. You want something that can easily lie flat on your vehicle’s surface so it will not take up too much space. It should also be lightweight enough and if it comes with a sturdy carry bag, the better.
Setting up your campfire tripods might be tricky but you have to remember that it is built to be used outdoors where the ground is rough, rocky and sometimes uneven. Most tripods are meant to be stuck in the ground to secure its balance and stability. You might want to try using it on a flat, hard surface but it will take some work and trials to find other materials to keep it in place and not have it slide off on the surface. For the most part, consider your tripods best, most stable set up before proceeding.
Remember to handle your cookware, especially heavy Dutch ovens when cooking with a campfire tripod. Ensure that everything is securely locked in place, especially the hook and chain so that you avoid spilling over when you start to cook. Always prepare and double check before placing things over the camp fire to avoid any unwanted spillage or burning accidents. Always keep in mind that a little trial and error can go a long way and soon enough, you will be able to enjoy Dutch oven cooking and grilling with a campfire tripod with ease and comfort. Happy camping!